Monday, January 23, 2006

Euphoria and dread

The surgeon this morning said Ellyn could go home tomorrow. Her white cell count was normal in yesterday's blood test. However, this means I have to go home today and ready the house for her. Lots of clean up to do. Ellyn is not quite as happy about this as I am, because she reminded me, it only changes the location of where she is in pain. She is still uncomfortable sitting up, although she is strong walking around and certainly not in as much pain as she was. She has said it sounds funny to her to have people asking about how it feels to have been in the hospital for so long because, for her, the first ten days or so were just a fog and only for the past two or three does she remember with any clarity. Actually, it has all kind of flowed together for me too. In some ways it seems a lot less than two weeks and in other ways, it seems like forever.

It will be wonderful to sleep in our own bed again, although I may sleep in the other room for a while, as Ellyn may be too nervous about me sleeping in the bed with her. The possibility of me rolling over and hitting a sensitive spot might be too much for her.

No comments: