Monday, April 10, 2006

Political cartoons

I like to read them as well as the "funnies", both ones created by the "liberal" cartoonists and by the "conservative" cartoonists. So this one by Chuck Assay, who falls into the middle somewhere, I think, caught my eye.



Now, I believe I know what he is trying to say, how education used to be about getting out and working and was much simpler, but I think he missed the final point about "going home to live with the parents". His final panel, instead of being about education being about more than just the 3-Rs, should have been about the output, into a world of immense national deficits, Iraqi war, and increasing energy "costs" should have been the point.

Also, he missed the fact that many of the things he shows as being taught in today's schools are now being set aside, including science, geography and history (doomed to repeat?) for the original 3-Rs so that children can pass the national testing requirments of the ridculous "no child left behind" policy.

No comments: