Friday, September 08, 2006

Woo-hoo! Free PDA!

Woo-hoo! Free PDA!
Tungsten T3. A nice perk for an IT job well done.

So I was working at a business here in Danbury which I had worked at before, fixing some problems they had and configuring some new software. I had seen that they had a couple of PDAs around and had heard that they were unused. They currently only used the desktop software for keeping schedules and contact lists and they wanted to view the same DB from the two computers. While I was working I asked the owner if he ever used the Tungsten. I had already checked and seen that the battery was dead. He said he bought them but never used them. I also asked if he had the sync cord. He said it might be around somewhere. So I asked him if he would be willing to sell it. I had been thinking of getting a new one, since I had been using Ellyn's old IBM Workpad for several years now.

So I asked what he wanted for it. He wasn't sure how much he paid for it or what it would be worth. I checked on eBay and they covered a pretty wide spectrum of prices. I told him I would give him $30 and he seemed hesitant, so I tried $50. He told me to haggle it out with his secretary.

So after he was gone and I was ready to leave, I gave my card to the secretary and have her charge me the $40 we had finally settled on. She started, then gave me back the card and said to just take it, that I had done a lot of work for them and he would never miss it.

It is missing its sync cable but they can be had pretty inexpensively plus it works in Ellyn's Zire cradle, which is how I charged it and synched over my Workpad data.

No comments: